Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My First Blog Rant

Today I am going to rant.  I don't do it often, but I find people are so quick to talk badly about things that just aren't their cup of tea.  I have caught myself doing it.  I have mentioned it before, Zoey LOVES American Girl dolls.  Most of you reading this are here because of my link on the American Girl boards. I admin for a local Knoxville group and several national boards all on Facebook.  Zoey has asked for all her Birthday/Holiday gifts to be American Girl, even Kieran has a set of Bitty Twins and has asked for a custom American Girl boy doll from Santa.  I think you get the picture.  Are they pricey?  Sure they are. Do I know how to make it work with our tight budget?  Yes, I do.  I scour eBay and Craigslist for the chance at being first on a great deal with even one piece that Zoey has asked for.  95% of the time! I sell the rest of the items to where the parts I have kept were either free, or I was paid to keep them.  Did I learn this overnight?  No, I have been watching and tracking and learning for over a year now.  Is it easy if you pay attention and know what to look for?  Well, I am doing it, aren't I?  LOL!

Anyway, so a friend posted a blog post in one of my groups this morning, where this fellow mommy blogger spit out a BUNCH of cuss words and ranted on and on about how her daughter got the new American Girl doll catalog and the prices in the catalog and $115 for a doll and and ice cream parlor and whatever else she listed.  All of her followers were commenting how their catalogs went right in the recycle bin, some said how glad they were they had boys.  Well, at least they are recycling, I am thankful for that.  Why is it that we live in a society where $60-70 for a video game to play on a $300 console, or $600 iPads or cell phones for 9-year-olds is a-ok, but $120 for a doll to play and grow and use their imagination is outrageous and how dare they?!?!?  Mind you many of these dolls retain 75-90% of their value and the limited edition Girl of the Year dolls have been known to more then double in value.  If that is what your child is asking for, give up 3 Barbie dolls and get one of what she truly wants.  As for the followers so relieved they have boys, I guess their child has yet to ask Santa for the Lego Star Wars Death Star. Thankfully Kman has only asked for the Ewok Village.

Ahhhhhhh!  I feel so much better to get that off my chest!  Thank you for listening!

2 comments:

  1. Did you see the comment about how she hopes our girls marry rich men so they can continue to spoil them and like we are giving them the wrong expectations and future money problems.

    ReplyDelete